- New MacBook Pro expected to launch on Thursday
- A 13-inch MacBook also likely to launch
- Apple started sending media invites for Thursday event last week
Apple last week started sending media invites with the tagline “hello again” for a Thursday event where the company is expected to update its Mac lineup. The launch event is said to end long drought of Mac updates and KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes that Apple will make various announcements to the Mac lineup at the Thursday event.
Kuo claims that the biggest highlight will be the revamped MacBook Pro which will be launched in both 13-inch and 15-inch models. Kuo adds that the new MacBook Pro will feature Oled touch bar and will also sport USB Type-C and the Thunderbolt 3, all of which is in line with previous reports. Apple is also expected to include Touch ID, the fingerprint sensor technology first introduced on iPhone devices. Kuo also adds that the new MacBook Pro will include Intel’s Skylake processor and will come with a new option of 2TB SSD storage capacity. The new MacBook Pro laptops are also said to sport better display quality and energy efficiency. Kuo suggests that the MacBook Pro will come with “MagSafe-like adapter” which will be rolled out by Apple or a third-party supplier.
Apart from MacBook Pro, Kuo believes that the long-rumoured 13-inch MacBook will make appearance at the Thursday event and will come with various improvements compared to the current 12-inch MacBook. There’s no mention of a refreshed MacBook Air lineup.
The KGI Securities analyst however feels that Apple may not be ready with updated iMac models and it may not star in Thursday event. Kuo claims that updated iMacs may be revealed first half next year. Rumours suggest that updated iMacs will feature AMD graphics options, while there are also rumours of a new 27-inch standalone external 5K Cinema Display. Kuo does not mention any Mac Pro or Mac mini updates, suggesting they are not coming anytime soon.